
Hi Everyone -
Well, I'm in Chunghua, Taiwan. I managed to survive my first week without losing my mind. For those of you who don't know, I have accepted a job teaching English to Taiwanese children for six months. I couldn't seem to land a job in Utah in the salary range I needed for such a short time period. People wanted to hire me, but wouldn't if I couldn't give them a year commitment - and I plan to return to Israel to finish my MA in March, soooo...
It is soooo HUMID here!!!! I'm dying! My clothes and I are perpetually wet all the time - and it has rained every day since I arrived. I arrived last Sunday morning, and began teaching my first classes the next day. I teach two kindergarten classes, two elementary classes, and one junior high-age class. The school is in a three story building downtown, with no elevator - so I run up and down stairs all day. My day begins at 8:30 a.m. and ends between 7 and 9 p.m. depending on the day. Exhausting. I'm losing my voice.
Not many people speak English around here, so getting around is a challenge. I usually have to pantomime what I want when ordering food, which is entertaining for the locals. The people here are extremely warm and friendly - even the street vendors. That's a "hatin' it" job, but they seem really happy to be there and to serve you.
Church tomorrow is a 45-minute bus ride to Taichung, where the mission home is. I'm anxious to see what the branch is like (we are going to an English-speaking branch). There are something like 43,000+ members in Taiwan, so there are huge Chinese speaking wards from what I understand. The temple of course, is in Taipei the capitol city, which is about 2 hours north of Chunghua.
I think there are more scooters than cars here. Everyone rides one - even old ladies. Huge herds of them racing down the street (the scooters, not the old ladies). I've nearly been run over several times already. The school has provided rusty-old bikes for us to ride, and mine is especially rickety. And the seat? Well, my bum has still not recovered.
I have posted a few photos at the bottom of this page, and will post more when I can. I gotta run now, but I will write more soon! I miss you all!
Love,
Amy
Well, I'm in Chunghua, Taiwan. I managed to survive my first week without losing my mind. For those of you who don't know, I have accepted a job teaching English to Taiwanese children for six months. I couldn't seem to land a job in Utah in the salary range I needed for such a short time period. People wanted to hire me, but wouldn't if I couldn't give them a year commitment - and I plan to return to Israel to finish my MA in March, soooo...
It is soooo HUMID here!!!! I'm dying! My clothes and I are perpetually wet all the time - and it has rained every day since I arrived. I arrived last Sunday morning, and began teaching my first classes the next day. I teach two kindergarten classes, two elementary classes, and one junior high-age class. The school is in a three story building downtown, with no elevator - so I run up and down stairs all day. My day begins at 8:30 a.m. and ends between 7 and 9 p.m. depending on the day. Exhausting. I'm losing my voice.
Not many people speak English around here, so getting around is a challenge. I usually have to pantomime what I want when ordering food, which is entertaining for the locals. The people here are extremely warm and friendly - even the street vendors. That's a "hatin' it" job, but they seem really happy to be there and to serve you.
Church tomorrow is a 45-minute bus ride to Taichung, where the mission home is. I'm anxious to see what the branch is like (we are going to an English-speaking branch). There are something like 43,000+ members in Taiwan, so there are huge Chinese speaking wards from what I understand. The temple of course, is in Taipei the capitol city, which is about 2 hours north of Chunghua.
I think there are more scooters than cars here. Everyone rides one - even old ladies. Huge herds of them racing down the street (the scooters, not the old ladies). I've nearly been run over several times already. The school has provided rusty-old bikes for us to ride, and mine is especially rickety. And the seat? Well, my bum has still not recovered.
I have posted a few photos at the bottom of this page, and will post more when I can. I gotta run now, but I will write more soon! I miss you all!
Love,
Amy

1 comment:
Wow! Say hello to Long Duk Dong for me. Looks fun. When eating don't order the kriem ov sum yung gi. Don't forget to use lots of talcum powder. The humidity will make you rot. Use the one that's medicated. Have fun! Tim and Tonya(yes, Tonya's idea not mine).
Post a Comment